We are grateful for our heritage. We appreciate the folks who
dreamed, served, and sacrificed to produce the work of God that has become
Calvary Bible Church.
During the late 1930’s, a group of interested Christians from
the city of Kankakee contacted the Chicago Christian Business Association, with
a view to establishing a church. Rev. Warren V. Lewis came to the city to talk
with the people, survey the community, and hold several meetings in a rented
The meetings were a success and
the decision was made to rent larger quarters. The group moved to a room over a
clothing store for about three months and then erected a portable tabernacle on
a rented lot.
Upon completion of the
tabernacle, the group, calling itself the Back to the Bible Tabernacle, and
later, the Kankakee Gospel Tabernacle, formed an official fellowship in 1940.
Six years later the fellowship became a membership, the rented lot was
purchased, and Calvary Bible Church was officially born.
In 1954, the portable
tabernacle was replaced with a small cement block building which was quickly
outgrown. In 1960, the congregation moved to a new facility at 650 Fairview
Avenue in Bradley. In 2002, the congregation moved again, this time to 2587
East Armour Road in Bourbonnais.
Calvary began as an affiliate
of the Independent Fundamental Churches of America.
In 1984, Calvary affiliated
with the Evangelical Free Churches of America.
Calvary has experienced many
changes through the years in terms of pastors, members, and locations. Calvary
has also been characterized by some constants as well. The church has always
been Bible based, Gospel centered, Christ exalting, Spirit led, and mission
minded. We appreciate the past, we are enjoying the present, and we look
forward to the future.